Checkups and Cleanings – Edison, NJ
Protect Your Smile from Cavities and Gum Disease
Dr. Shah is always ready to help you out should your smile ever need a little restorative TLC. However, he is also an ardent advocate of preventive care. The American Dental Association recommends that most individuals visit a dentist for a cleaning and checkup once every six months. On this page, you will learn more about why these appointments are so important and what you can expect when you visit us for one. We look forward to helping you maintain your precious smile!
Why Choose Edison Prosthodontics for Checkups and Cleanings?
- Compassionate, Gentle Team
- Highly Trained Dentist
- Personalized, Attentive Care
Why Are Checkups and Cleanings So Important?
Here are some of the main reasons why dental checkups and teeth cleanings in Edison are so important:
- Catch dental problems early on. Regular exams allow Dr. Shah to diagnose and address oral health issues before they become serious.
- Prevent cavities and gum disease. Even if you have an excellent at-home oral hygiene routine, professional cleanings are still beneficial. Your hygienist can remove tartar (the hardened form of plaque) from your teeth, which is impossible to do with at-home tools.
- Save money. If you have dental insurance, you’ll likely pay little to nothing for your preventive appointments. Insurance offers a lower coverage rate for restorative care.
What Happens During a Typical Checkup?
During your checkup, Dr. Shah will thoroughly assess the health of your teeth and gums. He may do so by performing a visual exam, using a dental probe, ordering some X-Rays, and using an intraoral camera. Intraoral cameras are particularly useful because they allow our team to see into all the little nooks and crannies in your mouth. The images from the camera are displayed on a nearby monitor so you can also see what is going on in your mouth. If the checkup reveals any possible oral health issues, Dr. Shah will recommend a treatment plan to get your smile’s well-being back on track.
What Can You Expect During your Cleaning?
During your cleaning, our team will:
- Use a scaler (a special type of tool) to remove plaque and tartar from your teeth. You may feel some pressure on your teeth, but you should not expect to experience any pain.
- Clean your teeth with a special type of toothpaste. The paste is grittier than what you might use at home and provides a powerful clean. This polishing can even remove surface stains from your teeth and give you a brighter smile.
- Floss your teeth, then rinse. These steps put the finishing touches on your refreshing clean.
- Talk with you. We might give you some tips on how you can improve your at-home dental care. You are also free to ask us any questions — we love to share our oral health expertise.
At the end of your appointment, we will ask you if you would like to schedule any recommended follow-up care. Then, you can go on your way and enjoy your freshly cleaned smile!