Scaling and Root Planing – Edison, NJ
Effective and Conservative Gum Disease Therapy
Some form of gum disease affects about half of the adults in the U.S. For some individuals, their condition can be reversed with a few adjustments to their oral hygiene routine and regular visits to their dentist. Other people, however, require more extensive treatment. Scaling and root planing in Edison is a conservative but effective way to fight moderate gum disease. If you believe your gums are not as healthy as they should be, contact us today for a consultation.
Why Choose Edison Prosthodontics for Scaling and Root Planing?
- Effectively Fight Periodontitis
- Comfortable, Welcoming Dental Office
- Experienced, Highly Trained Dental Team
How Do I Know if I Need Scaling and Root Planing?
Dr. Shah is the best person to determine whether you need scaling and root planing. He will design your treatment plan based on the severity of your gum disease. Individuals with gingivitis (the first stage of gum disease) are less likely to require scaling and root planing than individuals with periodontitis (the second stage of gum disease).
Some signs that you should visit Dr. Shah to discuss gum disease treatment and prevention in Edison include:
- Your gums are red, swollen, and bleed easily when you brush
- You suffer from persistent bad breath
- Your gumline is receding, causing your teeth to appear longer than they should
How Does the Procedure Work?
Scaling and root planing is basically a deep cleaning of the mouth. It involves two treatment stages. During the scaling portion of the treatment, the dental professionals at Edison Prosthodontics will remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth, both above and below the gumline. Then, during the root planing stage, the roots of the teeth get smoothed out so it is more difficult for disease-causing bacteria to cling to them.
Depending on the extent of your gum disease, scaling and root planing might require multiple appointments to complete. Our team takes care to promote patient comfort during the procedure; we may use local anesthesia and/or sedation to help you relax.
Following scaling and root planing, your gums will have the opportunity to heal and reattach to your teeth. As long as you are diligent about caring for your oral hygiene at home and attending follow-up appointments with Dr. Shah, you can expect long-term results from your treatment.
Benefits of Scaling and Root Planing
Some benefits of scaling and root planing include:
- It is conservative. Treating gum disease before it becomes severe may prevent the need for gum surgery later on.
- It can save your teeth. Gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss. Scaling and root planing may help you retain your natural teeth for a lifetime.
- It can reduce oral pain. After you recover from scaling and root planing, you may find that it is easy to enjoy your favorite foods without irritating your gums.
- It promotes overall health. Gum disease is associated with some serious systemic health issues, including heart attack, stroke, and diabetes. Caring for your mouth will bolster your head-to-toe wellness.